President’s Letter: Ready for Spring
by Michele Worden
Really – I am ready for spring. Any minute now! While I write this there is 2 ft of snow on the ground starting to melt in the sunshine. It is disconcerting to walk in the woods full of snow, and hear so much bird song, when there is nothing for the birds to eat. Remember to put out high protein food to get our birds through any cold snap.
The extended winter has really been crazy. We had to cancel our April member meeting and the talk on herbs with Julie Krist due to Winter Storm Wilbur. We also had to cancel our April board meeting for the same reason. At the moment it is uncertain whether the herbs talk can be rescheduled this year. We will keep the topic on the list for next year though!
Our May 1 meeting will need to be relocated also due to April weather. The Grand Traverse Conservation District Seedling Sale takes precedence in our meeting room at the Boardman River Nature Center. Due to the cold weather the Seedling Sale has been delayed a few weeks. The growers cannot harvest the seedlings from the frozen ground. This means there will be seedlings in the BRNC meeting room on May 1st and the room will be unavailable. We will be meeting at the Leelanau Government Center.
Meanwhile, some recent organization highlights include:
- We visited the first night of the MG Training class on March 8 and signed up some new members.
- MGANM participated in the Earth Day celebration on April 22nd at Twin Lakes park and had a terrific turnout for our “living necklace” project.
- We are looking forward to the MMGA leadership conference on May 5th in Mt. Pleasant.
- The board voted to become a Trillium level sponsor of MG College and will fund another scholarship to the conference this year for leadership development. Please consider applying!
- MGANM will also be a sponsor of the Friendly Garden Club Walk this year.
We have increased our marketing efforts over the last two years and this has helped to attract new members and to strengthen community relations. Every dollar invested in marketing has been a good investment. But we also need to plan well. On the horizon, please be on the lookout for a planning survey from MGANM. Your prompt response will be essential to help us plan and grow stronger. The more responses we get, the better the data for planning.
Don’t forget to wear your logowear! Help spread the word about the impact Master Gardeners have in the community by wearing your logowear. Logowear can be purchased at the Oakland county website https://www.mgsocstore.com/.
Thanks for all you do!