Contents (Click on a title or scroll)
by Gayla Elsner
On April 29th, 21 volunteers participated in a work bee at Munson Hospice House. Our group included rosarians from Cherry Capital Rose Society (CCRS), Hospice House Volunteers, and Master Gardener volunteers.
We started with an excellent demonstration of how to prune and maintain Knock Out roses. The CCRS members guided each person as we pruned 100 rose bushes! We fertilized with a special rose amendment made and donated by CCRS.
After the roses, sick ornamental trees were addressed. Master Gardeners pointed out the symptoms of black knot fungus and showed how to prune the trees in the garden.
A delicious lunch was enjoyed as we shared our stories of how we got involved with the Hospice House garden. Then we finished the day by weeding, cutting down grasses, and doing general garden clean up. The Hospice House volunteers were eager to learn about these tasks and discuss a schedule for regular maintenance of the garden.
This garden had been tended sporadically over the last few years and needed rescuing. This hardworking day was a great start toward the goal of getting the garden back to the peaceful place of natural beauty that the hospice patients and their families deserve.
by Cheryl Gross, AEMG
Last fall I heard about an opportunity to work on installing landscaping at a Habitat for Humanity home in the Depot Neighborhood in Traverse City. At the end of the day, the timing did not work for me. I did, however, ask to be kept on their radar for another home. The Fife Lake landscaping project finished June 20th.
The project began on a site visit with the prospective homeowner, her mentor, and the construction manager. Together we examined the site and the existing plants, which included a lot of Michigan yellow sand and a few invasive species. The prospective homeowner had done her homework and gave me a list of plants she liked. She explained very clearly that she liked things symmetrical, wanted an abundance of blossoms and her favorite plants were day lilies and bushy roses. I talked about the soil, sun, and the benefits of including native plants.
Next step was a nine-page summary report of the site and possible plants including pictures and characteristics. The report included information on lawn seeding and container planting as well. An investigation and summary of the prospective homeowner plant lists revealed that many of them were not hardy to Zone 5 and explanation of each plant was provided.
Habitat for Humanity and the prospective homeowner then began to acquire plant material. Pine Hill Nursery generously donated some native perennials and lavender. The Habitat for Humanity’s partner nursery offered none of the plants on our desired plant list but donated five other shrubs and lavender.
Once the plants were acquired, the prospective homeowner described how she wanted them planted. This was a difficult stage in the process for me. The plants available did not necessarily ‘fit’ in her desired location. For example, she wished to have a shrub between the porch and entry walk in a space no more than 18-24 inches deep. Also the drip lines of the roof needed to be considered to protect the shrubs from snow damage. Again, researching each plant donated, information describing the growing habit of the plant was presented.
This brought us to install day. Nine women from Century 21 Realty volunteered for a day of service. The day dawned sunny and seasonably warm and the soil retained some moisture from the heavy weekend rain. It was perfect. I laid plants in place and waited for the prospective homeowner to arrive and rearrange things to her vision. The realtors got to work digging invasive honey suckle, pulling garlic mustard, removing myrtle and rescuing sedum. They were amazing; hard working and very efficient. The prospective homeowner arrived and made her tweaks to the plant arrangement. In no time at all, plants were in the ground, a bit of compost added to the shrub holes, the sedum was used as filler between shrubs as we wait the plants to grow, and a top dressing of mulch was added. Landscaping added an incredible visual to the house.
Wrapping up the project, it made me sad that the prospective homeowner did not have the two plants she most wanted, day lilies and bush roses. So, I got my hands on a smaller form day lily, the gold one that is so common and purchased a Drift rose. It was all worth it.
My role in this project was educational only. With the number of volunteers taking a day from their jobs to support Habitat for Humanity, it was important that they keep busy with hands-on work. I am confident that each individual involved in landscaping this Habitat Home gained more than they gave. I certainly did.